PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- ATL App Development Module
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Facts for Prelims
1 . ATL App Development Module
Context : In a major step towards revving up the Indian Mobile App Development innovation ecosystem,in line with the clarion call for Aatmanirbhar initiatives of the Hon Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) launched the ‘ATL App Development Module’ for school children all across the country.
About ATL App Development Modules
- The ATL App Development modules have been launched in collaboration with Indian homegrown startup Plezmo with an aim to hone the skills of school students and transforming them from App users to App makers in the times to come under AIM’s flagship Atal Tinkering Labs initiative.
- The ATL App Development module is an online course is completely Free. Through 6 project-based learning modules and online mentoring sessions, young innovators can learn to build mobile Apps in various Indian languages and showcase their talent.
- Additionally, to build capacities and acumen for App Development within school teachers, periodic Teacher Training sessions will be conducted on the AIM App Development course.
2 . Rheumatoid arthritis
Context : Scientists from the Institute of Nano Science & Technology (INST), Mohali, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology Government of India, have formulated nanoparticles with chitosan and loaded these nanoparticles with zinc gluconate for reducing the severity of rheumatoid arthritis.
About Rheumatoid arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disorder that can affect more than just your joints. In some people, the condition can damage a wide variety of body systems, including the skin, eyes, lungs, heart and blood vessels.
Importance of Zinc
- Element Zinc is vital for maintaining normal bone homeostasis, and its levels are reported to get reduced in rheumatoid arthritis patients and arthritis-induced animals.
- It is also known that oral supplementation of zinc in the form of zinc gluconate have very low bioavailability in humans.
About the Research
- Chitosan, the biocompatible, biodegradable natural polysaccharide that is one of the most abundant biopolymers obtained from the exoskeleton of crustaceans have shown absorption promoting characteristics.
- The INST team have particularly chosen chitosan as it is biodegradable, biocompatible, non-toxic, and mucoadhesive in nature.
- A previously published report in the journal ‘Magnesium Research’ exhibited that after intraperitoneal administration in rats, zinc oxide in standard form resulted in a slight increase in serum zinc level, whereas that in nano form resulted in significantly high serum zinc levels thus increasing the zinc bioavailability.
- This motivated the INST team to develop the nanoformulation of zinc gluconate.
- Researchers has analyzed the superior efficacy of zinc gluconate-loaded chitosan nanoparticles over the free form of zinc gluconate.
- Nanoparticles were characterized for various physicochemical properties, and then anti-arthritic potential was investigated against collagen-induced arthritis in Wistar rats
- They observed that the treatment of rats with both zinc gluconate and zinc gluconate loaded chitosan nanoparticles reduced the severity of arthritis by reducing joint swelling, erythema, and edema but zinc gluconate loaded nanoparticles exhibited superior efficacy.
- This they attributed due to the inflammatory potential of zinc gluconate-loaded chitosan nanoparticles.
3 . Facts for Prelims
Guntur Sanam Chilli
- Guntur Sannam Chilli is cultivated, processed and made available mainly from Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh. Guntur Sannam chilli requires a warm and humid climate for its growth and dry weather during period of maturation.
- Sannam chilli belongs to the variety Capsicum annum. It is well-known as a commercial crop used as a condiment, culinary supplement or as a vegetable. Among the spices consumed per head in India, dried chillies contribute a major share.
- Guntur Sannam Chilli has got its specific characteristics which have enabled it to earn international and national acclaim. Sannam chilli is generally known to trade as S4 type chilli, and is mainly used for its pungency and for the extraction and derivation of capsaicin.
- It is registered as one of the geographical indications of Andhra Pradesh
- Nadi Vigyan, an ancient science described in Hatha Yogic and Ayurvedic scriptures, has a wide range of benefits in curing various illnesses, especially spinal disorders.
- The human body has around 72,000 nadis. To maintain good health, one needs free flow of prana (air) inside the nadis.
- Through Nadi Vigyan techniques, we channelise the free flow of prana inside the body with the help of some specific asanas or with special equipment.
- According to Ayurveda, there are three doshas or basic elements in human body namely Vata (air, ether), Pitta (Fire, water) and Kapha (Earth, water). While an imbalance of Vata elements can cause up to 80 disorders in the human body, the imbalance of Pitta can cause up to 40 disorders and Kapha up to 20 disorders in the human body.
- Ayurveda states that the diet plan of an individual should be made in consideration to the body type in sync with these elements. For example, hyper-acidity in a person may be due to imbalance or excess of Pitta in the body. Therefore, he/she should take alkaline food in his diet which neutralizes the acidity and balances the Pitta element.
- Nadi Parikshan (pulse diagnosis) helps in determining the problems or disorders caused due to the imbalance of Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- The origin point of Nadi is called Kandasthana, the navel area which is the central power of the human body. A baby in the mother’s womb gets nourishment from the umbilical cord which is also connected to navel of the baby.
CII – ITC Sustainability Award 2019
- NTPC Ltd, a central PSU under Ministeybof Power and India’s largest power generation company, has won the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019, under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category. Also, the company has received Commendation for Significant Achievement in category of CSR.
- NTPC always strives for sustainable development of its communities around the power stations. Its flagship CSR program GEM (Girl Empowerment Mission), a 4 weeks residential program has been institutionalized in the vicinity of its power stations for benefit of school going girls from underprivileged background to support in their overall development.
- CII-ITC Sustainability Awards recognize and reward excellence in sustainability practices. It is considered to be the most credible platform for sustainability recognition in the country.