SYLLABUS BREAK UP
This portion of the syllabus can be divided into following sub-topics
- Ethics and Human Interface
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service
- Emotional Intelligence
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration
- Probity in Governance
- Case studies
SQUAD ANALYSIS OF PAST QUESTION PAPERS
Theory section – Average 120 -130 marks
Case studies – Average 120 -130 marks
HOW TO PREPARE FOR EACH SUB – TOPIC
Ethics and Human Interface
- You can study this part of the syllabus from the book Lexicon for Ethics Integrity and Aptitude by Chronicle publications.
- You can also refer to IGNOU materials on Ethics.
- You can refer the book Lexicon for Ethics Integrity and Aptitude by Chronicle publications for this sub-section
Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by G. Subba Rao is a good book for this part. In addition you should also refer to Lexicon for Ethics Integrity and Aptitude by chronicle publications.
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by G. Subba Rao is a good book for this part.
Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by G. Subba Rao is a good book for this part
Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration
- You have to refer both Subba Rao and Lexicon for this section.
Probity in Governance
- Refer Subba Rao for this section.
- You should also refer two reports Ethics in Governance and Code of conduct of 2nd ARC reports –
- 12 episodes of Justice Video by Michael Sandel is available on Youtube. It is extremely useful for case study as well as theory part.
- Attempt case studies given at the end of the books by Subbarao and Lexicon.
- You can also search on the internet for further case studies.
GENERAL TIPS FOR MAINS
- Language used for answering questions should be proper and precise. Consistent efforts should be made to improve the language
- Answer should be specific and to the point rather than what you know. Beating around the bush won’t work.
- Style of answering can be either point wise or in paragraphs. Writing in Paragraph is time consuming
- Presentation and structure of writing answers is important. Examiner has only limited time to check the paper.
- Technical and complex language is not advisable in answering General Studies paper
- Stick with few materials and revise it properly. This will help in consolidation and reproduction of the acquired knowledge
- Answer writing practice is important on a daily basis. Writing practice will help the aspirants to attempt all the questions in 3 hours
- Our Daily writing initiative will help you in developing the art of answer writing . It will take time to write quality answers in the beginning but with practice you will catch up the necessary speed in due course.