PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- Battle of Kangla Tongbi
1 . Battle of Kangla Tongbi
Context : The Platinum Jubilee of the Battle of Kangla Tongbi War was commemorated on 07 Apr 2019 by Army Ordnance Corps at Kangla Tongbi War Memorial near Imphal honouring the valiant brave hearts of Ordnance Personnel of 221 Advance Ordnance Depot who made their supreme sacrifice in the line of duty during the battle of World War-II on the night of 6/ 7 April 1944.
About Battle of Kangla Tongbi
- The Battle of Kangla Tongbi, considered one of the fiercest battles of World War II, was fought by Ordnance personnel of 221 Advance Ordnance Depot (AOD) (Allied forces) against Japanese Forces (Axis forces)
- Japanese forces had planned a three pronged offensive to capture Imphal and the surrounding areas.
- In their attempt to extend their line of communication to Imphal, the 33rd Japanese Division cut in behind the 17th Indian Division at Tiddim (Mynmar) and establishing themselves firmly on the main Kohima – Manipur highway, started advancing towards Kangla Tongbi.
- At Kangla Tongbi, a small but determined detachment of 221 AOD put up stiff resistance against the advancing Japanese forces.
- This shook the enemy and forced the Japanese to withdraw leaving many dead.