About Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA)
- The EPCA a statutory body was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.
- The EPCA was constituted with the objective of ‘protecting and improving’ the quality of the environment and ‘controlling environmental pollution’ in the National Capital Region.
- The EPCA also assists the apex court in various environment-related matters in the region.
- EPCA is headed by the chairman.
- Besides the chairman, the EPCA has 14 members, some of whom are the environment secretary of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT), chairperson of the New Delhi Municipal Council, transport commissioner of the NCT, the commissioners of various municipal corporations of Delhi and professors at IIT Delhi and Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- To protect and improve quality of environment and prevent and control environmental pollution in National Capital Region.
- The EPCA is empowered to take suo motu action as well as on the basis of complaints made by any individual, representative body or organisation functioning in the environmental issues sector.
- One of the EPCA’s important powers is the redressal of grievances through complaints.