PIB ANALYSIS FOR UPSC CIVIL SERVICES EXAM
- “Main Nahin Hum” Portal and App
- Atomic Energy Commission
- STAPCOR – 2018
1 . “Main Nahin Hum” Portal and App
- The portal, which works on the theme “Self4Society”, will enable IT professionals and organizations to bring together their efforts towards social causes, and service to society, on one platform.
- In doing so, the portal is expected to help catalyse greater collaboration towards the service of the weaker sections of society, especially by leveraging the benefits of technology.
- It is also expected to generate wider participation of interested people who are motivated to work for the benefit of society.
2 . Atomic Energy Commission
- The Department of Atomic energy was setup on August 3, 1954 under the direct charge of the Prime Minister through a Presidential Order.
- Subsequently, in accordance with a Government Resolution dated March 1, 1958, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was established in the Department of Atomic Energy.
- The Prime Minister (late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru) also laid a copy of this Resolution on the table of the Lok Sabha on March 24, 1958.According to the Resolution constituting the AEC, the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Atomic Energy is ex-officio Chairman of the Commission.
- The other Members of the AEC are appointed for each calendar year on the recommendation of the Chairman, AEC and after approval by the Prime Minster
- The DAE is under the direct charge of the Prime Minister
- To organise research in atomic science in the country
- To train, atomic scientists in the country
- To promote nuclear research in commission’s own laboratories in India
- To undertake prospecting of atomic minerals in India and to extract such minerals for use on industrial scale
3 . STAPCOR 2018
- The International Conference on Status and Protection of Coral Reefs (STAPCOR – 2018) with the theme “Reef for Life” was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan on 22nd October at Bangaram coral Island of Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
- The Department of Environment and Forest, Union Territory of Lakshadweep Administration organised this mega conference with the technical support of Zoological Survey of India and in association with Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, IUCN, ENVIS in consonance with declaration of the year 2018 as 3rddecadal International year of Reefs.