PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- INS Ranjit
- World Customs Organization
- Giani Zail Singh
1 . INS Ranjit
Context : INS Ranjit was decommissioned
About INS Ranjit
- INS Ranjit, was a Rajput class destroyer
- The ship has been at the forefront of major naval operations and has the distinction of serving on both Eastern and Western seaboards.
- Apart from various naval operations like Op Talwar and various multinational exercises, the ship has also been a flag bearer of the Indian Navy`s benign role by participating in relief operations post Tsunami in 2004 and Hud-hud on 2014.
2 . INS VELA
Context : Vela, the fourth Scorpene class submarine being constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited for the Indian Navy, was launched
- INS Vela (2019) is the fourth submarine of the first batch of six Kalvari-class submarines for the Indian Navy.
- It is a diesel-electric attack submarine based on the Scorpène class, the Scorpene class of submarines can undertake multifarious tasks typically undertaken by any modern submarine which include anti-surface as well as anti-submarine warfare.
- It is designed by French naval defence and energy group DCNS and manufactured by Mazagon Dock Limited
- Presently Eight Warships and five submarines are under construction at MDL. MDL is one of the India’s leading shipyards with a capacity to meet requirements of the Indian Navy.
3 . World Customs Organization
Context : Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) is organising a meeting of the Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of the World Customs Organisation (WCO)
About World Customs Organization
- The World Customs Organization (WCO), established in 1952 as the Customs Co-operation Council (CCC) is an independent intergovernmental body whose mission is to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of Customs administrations.
- Its situated in Brussels Belgium
- The World Customs Organization (WCO) is the only international intergovernmental organization that deals with Customs procedures governing trade between countries.
- Its work aims to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Customs administrations across the globe, and to help them fulfil their dual role of facilitating trade whilst ensuring its security.
- WCO represents 183 Customs administrations across the globe that collectively process approximately 98% of world trade.
- As a forum for dialogue and exchange of experiences between national Customs delegates, the WCO offers its Members a range of Conventions and other international instruments, as well as technical assistance and training services provided either directly by the Secretariat, or with its participation. The Secretariat also actively supports its Members in their endeavours to modernize and build capacity within their national Customs administrations.
- Developing and promoting harmonized and simplified Customs procedures aimed at facilitating trade.
- Security and enforcement
- Partnerships and cooperation
- Modernization and capacity Building
4 . Giani Zail Singh
About Giani Zail Singh
- He was the seventh President of India serving from 1982 to 1987
- His presidency was marked by Operation Blue Star, the assassination of Indira Gandhi, and the 1984 anti-Sikh riots
- He held several ministerial posts in the Union Cabinet, including that of Home Minister before his Presidency
- He used pocket veto to refuse assent to the “Post Office (Amendment) Bill” in 1986 to show his opposition to the bill. The bill was later withdrawn by the V. P. Singh Government in 1990.