PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- National Crisis Management Committee
1 . National Crisis Management Committee
Context : The National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC) under the chairmanship of Sh. P. K. Sinha, Cabinet Secretary,met here today for the second time in as many days and reviewed the preparedness with the States and concerned Departments of Government of India, to deal with the situation arising out of the Cyclonic Storm ‘Fani’.
About National Crisis Management Committee
- For effective implementation of relief measures in the wake of a natural calamity, the Cabinet may set up a committee called as National Crisis Management Committee
- Cabinet Secretary, which is the highest executive officer, heads the NCMC.
- Secretaries of all the concerned Ministries /Departments as well as organizations are the members of the Committee.
- The NCMC gives direction to the Crisis Management Group as deemed necessary.
Crisis Management Group
- The Central Relief Commissioner in the Ministry of Home Affairs is the Chairman of the CMG, consisting of senior officers (called as nodal officers) from various concerned Ministries.
Functions of CMG
Functions of CMG is to review :
- Every year contingency plans formulated by various Ministries/Departments/ Organizations in their respective sectors,
- Measures required for dealing with a natural disaster,
- Coordinate the activities of the Central Ministries and the State Governments in relation to disaster preparedness and relief
- To obtain information from the nodal officers on measures relating to above.