PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts
1 . Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts
Context : Ministry of Defence has awarded Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited (GRSE)contract to build eight Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts (ASWSWCs) for Indian Navy.
About Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts
- Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts are designed for a deep displacement of 750 tons, speed of 25 knots and complement of 57 and capable of full-scale sub surface surveillance of coastal waters, SAU and Coordinated ASW operations with Aircraft.
- The vessels shall have the capability to interdict/ destroy sub surface targets in coastal waters. These can also be deployed for Search and Rescue by day and night in coastal areas.
- In their secondary role, these will be capable to prosecute intruding aircraft, and lay mines in the sea bed.
- The vessels are equipped with highly advanced state-of-the-art integrated platform management systems including Propulsion Machinery, Auxiliary Machinery, Power Generation and Distribution Machinery and Damage Control Machinery, etc.
- These warships will be built as per Classification Society Rules and Naval Ship Regulations and will conform to latest Marine Pollution Standards of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS).
- The design and construction of these ships at GRSE is another significant milestone in the ‘Make In India’ Initiative of the Government of India.