PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- Exercise Pitch Black
- Arth Ganga
- Swachh Bharat Mission – Grameen
- Indian Ports Global Chahbahar Free Trade Zone
- Grameen Udaymi Portal
- National Seed Congress
- Indigeneous Hydrogen Fuel Cell
- Facts for Prelims
1 . Exercise Pitch Black
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853181
Context: An Indian Air Force contingent has reached Darwin in Australia for participating in Exercise Pitch Black 2022.
Exercise Pitch Black:
- This is a biennial, multi-national exercise hosted by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).
- It will focus on Large Force Employment warfare.
- The last edition was conducted in 2018.
- The 2020 edition of the exercise was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This year’s exercise will see the participation of over 100 aircraft and 2500 military personnel from various air forces.
- The IAF contingent, comprises over 100 air warriors, deployed with four Su-30 MKI fighter and two C-17 aircraft. .
- This exercise provides opportunity to enhance interoperability and strengthen relationships among participants.
2 . Arth Ganga
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853163
Context: Director General, National Mission for Clean Ganga participated and urged farmers to adopt Zero Budget Natural Farming under Arth Ganga campaign.
Arth Ganga campaign:
- Arth Ganga initiative was espoused by the Prime Minister during the 1st National Ganga Council meeting in December 2019 in Kanpur.
- It focuses on the sustainable development of the areas around river Ganga with a focus on various economic activities related to the river.
- One of the primary objectives of Arth Ganga is to promote Zero Budget Natural Farming that includes chemical-free farming in 10 km on either side of the river, generating ‘More Income, Per Drop’.
- As part of this process, farmers will be encouraged to engage in sustainable agriculture practices, including zero budget farming, planting of fruit trees and building plant nurseries on the banks of Ganga.
- It has been assisted by the World Bank.
3 . Swachh Bharat Mission – Grameen
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853131
Context: Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G), the flagship programme of the Government of India, recorded another milestone – of 101462 villages declaring themselves as ODF (open defecation free) Plus.
Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G):
- Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM) is a country-wide campaign initiated by the Government of India in 2014 to eliminate open defecation and improve solid waste management in rural India.
- The mission was implemented in two phases:
- Phase 1 of the Swachh Bharat Mission lasted till October 2019.
- Phase 2 is being implemented between 2020–21 and 2024–25.
- The objectives of the first phase of the mission:
- Eradication of manual scavenging.
- Generating awareness and bringing about a behaviour change regarding sanitation practices. This is the world’s largest behaviour change campaign
- Building capacity at the local level.
- The second phase of the mission aims to sustain the open defecation free status and improve the management of solid and liquid waste, while also working to improve the lives of sanitation workers.
- This mission is centrally sponsored (financed by the Government of India and state governments).
4 . Indian Ports Global Chabahar Free Trade Zone (IPGCFTZ)
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853334
Context: In an effort to invigorate the potential of Chabahar port, Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways handed over six mobile harbour cranes to Indian Ports Global Chabahar Free Trade Zone (IPGCFTZ) at the port.
Indian Ports Global Chabahar Free Trade Zone:
- IPGCFZ is a subsidiary wholly owned by India Ports Global Limited Mumbai, under the ambit of Ministry of Shipping (Government of India).
- India Ports Global Limited was incorporated as a special purpose vehicle jointly promoted by Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) and Deendayal Port Trust (DPT) for development and management of Shahid Behesthi Port of Chabahar in Iran.
- In 2018 all the shares of JNPT & DPT were purchased by ‘Sagarmala Development Company Ltd’ (SDCL) which is a central public sector enterprise (CPSE) and therefore IPGL also became a CPSE.
5 . Grameen Udyami Project
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853313
Context : National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in partnership with Seva Bharti and Yuva Vikas Society, launched the second phase of Grameen Udyami Project.
Grameen Udyami Project:
- Grameen Udyami is a unique multiskilling project, funded by NSDC that aims to train 450 tribal students in Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand. The project is being implemented in six states— Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, and Gujarat.
- Following objectives must be achieved under the project:
- Increase in Rural/Local Economy
- Enhance employment opportunities
- Reduce forced migration due to lack of local opportunities
- Conservation of natural resources
- In the first phase of training, candidates were mobilized from rural and tribal areas of Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, and Gujarat. .
- The phase-II of the pilot project launched in Ranchi is being implemented by Yuva Vikas Society, through Seva Bharti Kendra in Ranchi.
- NSDC under the aegis of MSDE has supported in setting up of labs and classrooms through Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) in Seva Bharti Kendra Skill Development Center.
- The training under the project will be conducted in the following Job roles which are relevant to the local economy.
- Electrician & Solar PV Installation Technician
- Plumbing & Masonry
- 2-Wheeler Repair & Maintenance
- IT/ITES with e-Governance
- Farm Mechanization
6 . National Seed Congress
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853456
Context: 11th National Seed Congress was organised at Rajmata Vijayaraje Scindia Agricultural University, Gwalior.
National Seed Congress
- The Indian Seed Congress is an annual forum organized by National Seed Association of India.
- It has emerged as a platform to project the latest trends and views of the Seed Industry sector; voice their concerns; deliberate on the new technological advances and the barriers to technology development and introduction; showcase new product ranges and services and network for better business development.
- The Indian Seed Congress provides a platform for the Seed Industry to interact closely with technology developers, sector development officials and policy makers.
- This year’s focus is on climate change and self-sufficiency in pulses and oilseeds.
- National Seed Association of India, (NSAI), is the apex organization representing the Indian Seed Industry. It continues to strive to meet all the farmers’ needs by understanding their requirements and developing research strategies to address problems.
7 . Indigenous Hydrogen fuel cell
PIB Release – https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1853433
Context: Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh unveils India’s first truly indigenously developed Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus developed by KPIT-CSIR in Pune.
Indigenous Hydrogen fuel cell:
- The fuel cell utilizes Hydrogen and Air to generate electricity to power the bus and the only effluent from the bus is water, therefore making it possibly the most environmentally friendly mode of transportation.
- The high efficiency of fuel cell vehicles and the high energy density of hydrogen ensures that the operational costs in rupees per kilometre for fuel cell trucks and buses are lower than diesel powered vehicles, and this can bring freight revolution in India.
- Moreover, Fuel Cell vehicles give zero green-house gas emissions.
- About 12-14% CO2 emissions and particulate emissions come from diesel powered heavy commercial vehicles and these are decentralised emissions and hence difficult to capture. Hydrogen fuelled vehicles provide an excellent means to eliminate the on-road emissions from this sector.
8 . Facts for Prelims
- APEDA, a Statutory Body under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India.
- It is the nodal agency for promoting Indian agro and processed food exports and is responsible for facilitating and promoting export of horticulture, floriculture, processed food, poultry products, dairy and other agro products.
- APEDA has taken number of export promotion activities and initiatives, by way of development of virtual portals for organizing Virtual Trade Fairs, Farmer Connect Portal, e-office, Hortinet Traceability system, Buyer Seller Meets, Reverse Buyer Seller Meets, product specific campaigns etc.
- APEDA has been closely working with the state government for creating infrastructure and promotion of export from the state.