PIB Analysis for UPSC CSE
- Phase 4 of GSLV
- New Urea Policy
- Mahavir Jayanti
1 . Phase 4 of GSLV
Context : The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved ongoing GSLV continuation programme Phase-4 consisting of five GSLV flights during the period 2021-2024. The GSLV Programme – Phase 4 will enable the launch of 2 tonne class of satellites for Geo-imaging, Navigation, Data Relay Communication and Space Sciences.
- The GSLV Continuation Programme – Phase 4 will meet the launch requirement of satellites for providing critical Satellite Navigation Services, Data Relay Communication for supporting the Indian Human spaceflight programme and the next interplanetary mission to Mars. This will also ensure the continuity of production in Indian industry
- The operationalization of GSLV has made the country self-reliant in the launching capability of 2 tonne class of satellites for communication & meteorological satellites.
- The GSLV Continuation Programme will sustain & strengthen the capability and self-reliance in the launching of similar satellites for national requirements including next generation navigation satellites, data relay communication satellites and interplanetary missions.
- GSLV has enabled independent access to space for 2 tonne class of satellites to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).
- One of the very significant outcomes of the GSLV Continuation Programme is the mastering of the highly complex cryogenic propulsion technology, which is an essential technological capability to launch communication satellites to GTO. This has also paved the way for the development of a high thrust Cryogenic engine & stage for the next generation launch vehicle i.e. GSLV Mk-lll.
- GSLV with the indigenous Cryogenic Upper Stage has established itself as a reliable launch vehicle for communication, navigation and meteorological satellites and also to undertake future interplanetary missions.
2 . New Urea Policy
Context : The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal of the Department of fertilizers to extend the duration of New Urea Policy-2015 from April 1, 2019 till further orders, except for the provisions which stand already amended vide notification dated March 28, 2018.
About the New Urea Policy
- The New Urea Policy-2015 was notified with the objective of maximizing indigenous urea production, promoting energy efficiency in urea production and rationalizing subsidy burden on the government
- The extension of the policy would facilitate in continuation of operations of urea plants and ensure regular supply of urea to the farmers.
3 . Nirbhay Missile
Context : Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) today successfully test fired indigenously designed & developed Long Range Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile “Nirbhay” from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur Odisha
- Indigenously designed and developed long range cruise missile
- Deployable from multiple platforms
- Sea skimming capability to cruise at very low altitudes
- Ability to strike targets at 1000km range
4 . Mahavir Jayanti
About Mahavir Jayanti
- Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated by the Jain community commemorating the birth of Lord Mahavira, the founder of Jainism.
- It is the most important festival for Jains. Mahavira is the 24th and the last Tirthankara, who preached the essence of life, virtue and non-violence towards all living beings.
- According to the Swetambaras, he was born in 599 BC but Digambar school of Jainsim believe that Mahavira was born in 615 BC.