PIB ANALYSIS FOR UPSC CIVIL SERVICES EXAM
- Zika Virus
- Ayurveda Day
1 . Zika Virus
Zika Virus strain that causes microcephaly not found in Rajasthan
- Zika is spread mostly by the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito
- It is especially threatening to pregnant women as it can lead to microcephaly, a condition wherein the infant’s head is significantly smaller in newborns.
- There is no vaccine or medicine for Zika.
- Zika virus disease is an emerging disease currently being reported by 86 countries worldwide.
- The virus, transmitted through the aedes aegypti mosquito, causes fever, skin rashes, conjunctivitis, muscle, and joint pain.
- In India, the first outbreak was reported in Ahmedabad in January/February 2017 and second outbreak in July,2017 from Krishnagiri District in Tamilnadu. Both these outbreaks were successfully contained through intensive surveillance and vector management.
- Third outbreak is now going on in Rajasthan
About the release
- ICMR-National Institute of Virology, Pune has sequenced 5 Zika virus strains collected at different time points of the Jaipur outbreak.
- Advanced molecular studies of Zika virus strains, carried out through Next Generation Sequencing suggest that the known mutations linked to fetal microcephaly and high transmissibility of Zika virus in Aedes mosquitoes are not present in the current Zika virus strain that has affected Rajasthan.
2 . Ayurveda Day
Ayurveda Day to be celebrated throughout the Country on 5th November
- Ministry of AYUSH observes Ayurveda Day every year on Dhanawantari Jayanti (Dhanteras). This year Ayurveda Day is being observed on 5th November 2018.